Wednesday, October 27, 2010

reorganizing, etc

To all returning readers, thanks for bearing with me while I’ve been away. For the last couple weeks I’ve been busy with work and with a difficult problem that’s consumed a fair bit of my time and mental energy. But I’m so thankful to have now reached the end of the most pressing part of the problem, and to be able to take some time to relax and reorganize.

I just got the last of my things shipped from South Africa, so with winter coming up, I am sorting all my stuff out, and rearranging everything.

It’s always amazing to me how much stuff we manage to collect and carry around. I think this applies to not only things, but also mental and emotional baggage. Like any baggage, a lot of it is good and useful stuff that we need to have with us, knowledge and experience that we’ve gained over the years, important facts, and truths to rely on.

But I’m sure that if we took the time to take stock of all the thoughts and feelings that we’ve held on to, we would realize that a fair amount of it falls into the category of useless, and sometimes even harmful things. You know, those memories we hold on to of some wrong done, blame we carry with us for our part in a negative experience, thought patterns we’ve developed that aren’t exactly the right way of looking at things.

It’s good to occasionally give our hearts and minds a “spring cleaning” (or in my case right now a winter cleaning) as well. Working through a problematic situation presents a good opportunity to sort some of these things out, clean out the mental closet, and put everything in the proper order.

As stressful as the problem may have been, now I’m coming out of this difficulty feeling more relaxed, refreshed, and with new insight and experience, and for that I’m very thankful.

No comments: