Saturday, October 30, 2010

Meditation Exercise

This is a great meditation to try out. It's one of my favorites, probably because of how much I love the ocean. I can't get to an ocean right now, seeing as I live in a landlocked country, but I can sure pull up many images of beaches, sea water, and waves in my mind. Just thinking about it as I type this is making me feel more peaceful already. You should take a minute or two and try it.

***

Close your eyes and relax. Breathe deeply.


Now picture yourself sitting on the shore of a pristine beach with white sands. There’s a gorgeous view not only in front of you, but all around you. You’re sitting on the shore, close to the water’s edge, looking out over the ocean, toward the horizon.

Slowly now, the tide comes in, and very gently, the small waves begin to lap against you. As the water touches you, it soothes and caresses you. The waters are filled with spirit and life, and you partake of that as these peaceful waves flow toward you. Then they carry away from you stress, tension, worry, fear, and sadness.

There’s not a sound to be heard except for the lapping of the waves and the wind softly blowing. The breeze blowing against the water creates a fine mist. It’s soothing and refreshing.

There’s a message in the wind, though not one that you can hear or make out its words. It’s a message of the spirit that speaks directly to your heart. Your heart and spirit understand, and you open your soul to receive this message, the song of the wind. It’s a song of peace, of understanding, of rest and quiet.

Let the refreshing mist of tranquillity cleanse and rejuvenate you.

"Be still, and know that I am God." (Psalm 46:10)

No comments: