Friday, October 15, 2010

Cookies & Milk

In my current living arrangement I don't get a chance to cook much. Two of the people I share an appartment with are excellent cooks, and are even happy to throw a simple meal together when they get home late after a long day of work. To be honest after spending a year managing a kitchen for a center of 16 people I'm pretty happy to take a break from kitchen, cooking, and food service.

But because I can't stay out of the kitchen entirely I've taken on baking as my department. A couple times a week we host classes and meetings at our place, so I have plenty of opportunity to experiment with recipes, and come up with just the right variations that are a hit.

Here's my adapted recipe for oatmeal raisin cookies. When it comes out right, this one is always popular.


Oatmeal Cookies


Soften:

1/2 cup butter (you can replace part of this with oil if it makes it easier to mix)

Add and mix well:

3/4 cup sugar

Beat in until smooth:

1 egg

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 tablespoon milk

Sift together, then add to the wet ingredients:

1 cup flour

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

After the batter is beaten smooth then add:

1 cup oats

1/2 cup raisins

Drop cookies 2 inches apart on a well greased cookie sheet and bake about 10 minutes or until light golden brown in 180 degree C (375 F) oven. (These need to be well baked. They'll firm up a little as they cool but won't get too dry.) One recipe makes about 30 to 36 cookies.

Get a big glass of cold milk or mug of hot coffee and enjoy.


No comments: