Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Christmas, Christmas time is here

...time for toys and time for cheer
We've been good but we can't last
Hurry Christmas, hurry fast

I think this silly chipmunks song -- even though I find the chipmunks' squeeky voices a bit annoying, and I haven't listened to that Christmas tape in years -- perfectly sums up my childish anticipation when it comes to Christmas. That's probably why it's been stuck in my head for the last few days.

Today I'm enjoying a somewhat lazy day because I finished my Christmas shopping, gave out all the invitations to our Christmas program, got the cards off in the mail, sent email or facebook greetings to everyone else, and I'm feeling very happy and accomplished. Starting from tomorrow we have busy programs going through Christmas day, so it's nice to sit and relax, enjoy the pretty tree, lights, and decorations, and tell myself that soon I will get up and see to the housework.

Yesterday one of my friends suggested moving some of the Christmas day celebrations, particularly opening the presents to the 26th, and I went a bit balistic. You'd have thought he was trying to cancel Christmas or something. In actuality his reasoning was good. We are going to be pretty rushed on Christmas day. But really I'm just a little kid inside who can't wait to open her presents...hurry Christmas hurry fast...

But really I think it's nice to be able to act a bit childish once in a while, especially if it means keeping that sense of childish wonder and enjoyment. After all, this is the time when we remember that God's son, probably one of the most powerful beings around, was born into the body of a little tiny and helpless baby, just because He loves us. It doesn't really matter how many times I've heard, told, or celebrated the story, I still think it's pretty awesome.

1 comment:

Bethany said...

Hope you had a great Christmas! I can't believe it's only a week ago that we were all celebrating Christmas--- just doesn't seem possible. I get the same way though :)