Friday, December 10, 2010

The Advent of Christmas

I remember the first Advent calendar I had as I child. I was probably about ten years old, and my friends and I would race to the calendar each day and fight over who’s turn it was to open the window. It was just a simple calendar with pictures behind the little flaps. Now you can get ones with chocolates, or other sorts of surprises inside. Still I felt such excitement opening each window and counting down the days until Christmas Eve.


Today I was thinking about how wonderful it is that it’s the start of December with a whole month to enjoy the Christmas spirit. Each day is like opening the little calendar window and seeing what new surprises lie in wait for us.

This month I want to take time to appreciate the simple joys in every day. Little things like a hot cup of coffee in the morning, a transport vehicle pulling up right when I need one, or taking a pleasant walk in the sun when the traffic is blocked. Going up on the roof to take a warm nap in the sun when not feeling well. Coming home from a long day out tired and loaded down with bags, but happy to have found the perfect gift for a friend.

These are some of the little things that are making this a perfect Christmas month.

No comments: