Tuesday, August 10, 2010

New Feature – Book Reviews

Starting with The Power of Positive Living


I really enjoy reading, and it’s probably one of my main free time activities. So, starting now I will regularly review books, either ones I’ve just read or that I read a while back and found worth while. I’m starting with The Power of Positive Living as it was one of the books that inspired me to start this blog. A lot of the books I’ll review, though, will be fiction, as it’s probably what I read the most of since it’s in my free time and for entertainment. If you’ve got any comments on something I put up a review for then please feel free to post them. It’s always interesting to me to discuss books, and hear other people’s opinions.

The Power of Positive Living by Norman Vincent Peale

*****

“Basically I am a happy man, not dissatisfied or empty and certainly not turned of. In fact I’m very turned on. Because I am so happy is one of the main reasons I’m so concerned about people who are not. So in the pages that follow I shall simply describe what I discovered that helped me, turned my life around. If you find new meaning, enhanced fullness of life, deeper happiness as a result of reading this book, my purpose in writing it shall be fulfilled.” – Norman Vincent Peale in the preface

Drawing from years of counselling experience, Dr. Peale’s book offers guidance in eliminating defeatist attitudes and finding joy and purpose in life.

What I liked about this book:

I give this book five stars out of five, because I like the way it’s written – both the content and its presentation.

A few years I go I’d been chronically sick for some time, when a friend suggested I read a chapter on health from The Power of Positive Thinking by the same author. The book had been in our house for a while, but I’d never been very interested. I read the chapter and was hooked on the simple presentation of the ideas. I read through the whole book, did most of the exercises, and it was one of the steps that helped me recover.

So I was very happy to find this book in a used book store in Pokhara (a little lake-side tourist town). Each chapter presents a concept, gives tips for practical implementation backed up by true examples of others who’ve been helped by it, and lists the main principles to remember.

I also like the way it brings faith into the picture. Even though Norman Vincent Peale is a pastor he doesn’t use the book to “preach at you”. In fact, he makes a point of putting the faith factor on a very personal level, setting aside denominations and even religions, and simply stating that wherever you are in life God wants to help you, and that building a relationship with Him is an important key to happiness and satisfaction.

Coming next N. or M. by Agatha Christie

1 comment:

Phil said...

Yep, Peale generally knows how to hit the spot! Look forward to more book reviews :D