Monday, March 14, 2011

Stories from Japan

One of my Japanese friends complied this from her friends and family. It's really heart touching to read of the selflessness of others in such a time of need. And the people there still need a lot of help and prayers.


  • Lots of stories coming out about people risking their lives/giving their lives to save others. What I find most touching is the little things, like the homeless people bringing cardboard to the people sleeping in the cold in stations where they are stranded. The homeless, often ignored by all of us, may not have much to give, but they are doing what they can.
  • My sister wrote: During the earthquake, I thought I was going to die. The trains were stopped, so I walked towards my friend's house. There were no taxi's running, the restaurants and shops were all full of people who couldn't get home. After I'd walked 4 1/2 hours, hope was fading, the temperature dropped and I was so so cold. The masses of people crawled along like little ants dragging their feet. At that time I had just crossed this bridge, as I came down there was an old man with the trunk of his car full of "hokkairo". He passed them out to the weary people walking, encouraging each passer by. I immediately felt warmed inside through the kindness that was shown.
  • Heard a story last night of a woman and her baby who were caught up in the tsunami. A man on a second floor balcony climbed down to help her, passed the baby up, and helped the woman up, only to be washed away by the tsunami himself. Selflessness like that is amazing.
  • In the middle of the night, I was walking home from college.  A lady at a bakery was giving out bread.  She kept her bakery open till late hours and was doing what she could do to help others.  I was so touched.  Tokyo is still not a bad place to live!  Such a heart-warming scene.
  • Seems the Yakuza up north were out in force after the quake... HELPING DIRECT TRAFFIC.
  • Just read about the citizens of Osaka showing up in droves to donate blood.
  • I was so moved by the statement issued by the UN Secretary General, saying, "Japan is one of the most generous and strongest benefactors, coming to the assistance of those in need the world over.  In that spirit, the United Nations stands by the people of Japan and we will do anything and everything we can at this very difficult time."  This is a perfect example of doing good to others.  They will do the same to you, when you most need their help.
  • This afternoon at the convenience store there was a group of young punk looking guys buying drinks and beer. When they got to the register, one of them realized if he bought the beer as well, he wouldn't have any money left to make a donation for quake victims. He returned the beer.
  • My husband walked for 4 hours to come back home.  He was feeling weak at Akabane and this man offered free coffee saying "It's pretty cold huh? Warm up with this hot coffee!"  Thanks to the him, my husband regained the strength to keep walking.  It must have really touched him because he's been repeating the story 5 times.  Thank you to the man passing out free coffee.
  • This afternoon, I saw a young guy who has radical looks. He donated put several ten-thousand-yen bills to a donation box saying his friends “We can buy a game anytime”. I heard his words and that made me and the people around there what is important and we donated a bit too. I re-realized that it is not appropriate to judge people by their looks.
  • When the earthquake struck Japan, I was working at the restaurant. The restaurant was almost full. After the earthquake, we guided the guest to go out from there because it could be dangerous. I thought great part of them would leave there without paying, but most of them came back and paid their bill. The rest of them, who didn’t pay yesterday, came back to the restaurant today to pay. What a beautiful country Japan is.
  • Weep! I was so touched I cried super hard! That international call from a stranger just now, it was a phone call of worry and support from someone who called their own number, except with Japan's country code hoping to connect with someone in Japan! I didn't quite understand the English, but I understood what the person was trying to say! She said a lot of people over there are "praying for Japan"!
  • It happened last night. A convenience store near a train station managed to open for business with a power generator. While I was waiting in a long line, the generator stopped, maybe because it ran out of fuel, and the cash register stopped. The entire store was pitch black. Everyone put the things they had in their hands back on the shelves and left, even though no one would've noticed if they walked out with them.
  • An elderly man, probably over 80, who was rescued from the disaster area said "We will be OK, we are pretty sure we will. We have experienced Tsunami from Chile so why can't we do it this time?" he said with a smile. He again said with a smile, "It is useless to say something sad" to the news reporter trying to get some comments of sorrow. His wife standing next to him told the reporter sharply "Don't take photos of our disgraceful look". From this conversation, we can see how courageous the people who built Japan have dignity.
  • A conversation I overheard on the train between two grandmas. "The police are telling us to turn the lights off because there's not enough electricity. We used to spend a lot of time without lights for the good of our country during the World War 2. This time, we don’t need to worry about the bombs falling over us. We’ll gladly turn off the light, won’t we?” The people around them got silent for a second. My eyes welled up with tears.

No comments: