Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy Valentines

This year is the first in a while where I didn't have some special someone somewhere to wish a Happy Valentines Day to. Even if I wasn't in a commited relationship there's always been some person of interest to send off a note to, call up, buy a little gift, or wait anxiously to hear from. Yesterday I thought about it and realized that there was nobody. And you know what? It made me really happy.

In fact, I think it was the best Valentines I've had in a while. Because by taking the focus off romantic interests I thought about all the other love and good things that I have in my life, and I felt so blessed. I think sometimes the desire for romance, for dating, for all the complications that go along with the whole scene distracts us from the things that are a lot more important and satisfying.

I live with good friends who I can show love and concern for. I have a lot more friends that I get to see regularly and spend time with. I enjoy my work and get a lot of satisfaction out of doing it. I like the place I live. There are some exciting new opportunities coming up, not finalized yet, but that I'm looking forward to. I've learned a lot of things in the last year, and come to terms with the things about myself that have long frustrated me and made me feel incomplete. In short, I'm happy with the place I'm at in my life right now.

If some opportunity for romance and a relationship comes along and surprises me, then great. But I'm not looking for it. I don't feel like I need someone else to complete me.

Love comes along to us in many different forms, each one unique and beautiful. Every day we can feel touches of love in our lives. So, this post goes out to everyone who doesn't have a special someone to spend Valentine's Day with. Why sit around feeling sad that you're alone? In fact, why feel alone at all? If this is a day to celebrate love, then lets celebrate it in what ever form it choses to enter our lives in, and lets share some of that love with those around us.

"If we know that God loves us, then we know everything's going to be okay."

No comments: