Thursday, July 22, 2010

God's in control

On July 11 while most of us were happily watching the World Cup final and enjoying ourselves whether at home or out, alone or with friends, the evening ended in a horrific tragedy for many fans in Uganda as terrorists used the opportunity to bomb two locations where many were gathered, resulting in 74 deaths and many more injuries, trauma, and psychological scars.

When I read the news the following day, I was immediately concerned as I know several people in Uganda who work on humanitarian projects. A few days later it was confirmed that one of them, 51 year old Marie Smith from Ireland was killed in one of the explosions. As I’m sure was the case in each of the deaths it came as a shock to everyone who knew Marie, and I know she’ll be greatly missed. She spent 21 years of her life working in Africa and was described as “an outstanding woman who gave her life to reach the African continent, crazy, fun, outgoing, and fiery”. That’s how I remember her from the brief occasion when I met her in South Africa.

When something like this happens there are always questions of why and how it could be God’s will. I don’t have an answer to that, but I was comforted by a post from my friend Tina where she writes that Marie had told her “that her dream was to go help kids in some dangerous place so she could go down fighting in Africa which she loved and made her home, and go be with Jesus to Heaven. She was battling with a lot of health issues and was sick and tired of feeling sick and tired. She said the worst thing for her was to be useless and die slowly of old age and she really hoped when her time came that it would be with a bang and that it would be soon.”

Tina also related how many others had planned to be in that location but weren't because they didn't feel well or had been there but were tired and had gone home early (maybe that the fact that the game went on for so long without any goals being scored was a factor in saving lives, who knows). Reading her post helped me to realize that God’s hand was still there, even in such a tragic event. I know we will never understand all His reasons why, but can trust that He is in control, and pray for His mercy and comfort for each one affected by this tragedy.

No comments: