Thursday, June 24, 2010

Resting

As of today I’ve spent two weeks and three days in bed. Well, not always in bed, but a good majority of the time, and it hasn’t been easy. I’ve probably complained about a dozen times (maybe more, but I hope not) about how bored I’m getting. Sure a little extra rest is nice – at first, but this really has started to seem like it’s getting to be too much.

It started out with an old problem with my feet acting up again after I tried out a new pair of shoes. I suffered through a painful first day of wearing them, got several compliments on how nice they look, only to have to put them away forever, as I found that the next day I couldn’t walk without a lot of pain in both my feet and had to visit an orthopaedic doctor yet again.

So I started my long wait in bed for my feet to recover and allow me to walk like a normal person once more. Then just as they started to feel better I came down with the flu which has kept me in bed for exactly a week now and I’m still suffering from that.

But as I was taking some prayer time, and I have to admit complaining a bit about my fate, Jesus showed me a much better way to look at this time. He told me that it was a gift. A gift? I couldn’t quite picture that until He reminded me that come the first of next month we’re moving into a flat, and things are going to get very busy. So, yes, this time where I’m forced to get extra rest, to read, to study, to paint, and do other things I enjoy that can be done while lying down is a gift, and I’m doing my best to enjoy it while it lasts.

2 comments:

Phil said...

Gosh I've been in bed the last three weeks too! I had measles not feet probs, but it's nice to find a fellow bedridden soul...makes me feel better.

Anita M H said...

Ha, I'm glad it makes you feel better, though it must be a whole lot worse to have measles. I've been praying for you. Hope you're feeling better now.